Miradry Treatment in Los Angeles
If you suffer from embarrassing underarm sweat, you may be a candidate for a new FDA-Approved treatment for axillary hyperhidrosis. The Miradry system is a revolutionary advancement in hyperhidrosis treatment that effectively treats underarm sweating without repeated painful injections, neurotoxins, or surgery. Millions of healthy men and women suffer from underarm sweat problems. If you answer yes to any of the following questions, you may be a candidate for the Miradry hyperhidrosis system:
- Do you have uncontrolled sweating from your armpits indoors and outdoors?
- Does your underarm sweat cause embarrassment in social, home, and business circles?
- Do you use antiperspirant more than once daily?
- Do you worry that others notice your sweat stains on your shirt or blouse?
- Do you change your clothes more than once daily to avoid sweat stains?
- Do you alter your clothing color choices so they don't show sweat stains?
- Are you embarrassed to wear white clothing?
- Have you been diagnosed with axillary hyperhidrosis?
Most patients with hyperhidrosis do not realize that problems with excessive sweating are quite common, often affecting up to two percent of the adult population. The Miradry treatment is now available in Los Angeles at the office of Dr. Raffy Karamanoukian, a board certified plastic surgeon and an expert in hyperhidrosis. Miradry treatment provides a lasting solution for excessive underarm sweat, commonly referred to as axillary hyperhidrosis.
Unlike other hyperhidrosis treatments, the Miradry has the advantage of being FDA approved for non-surgical treatment of axillary hyperhidrosis. This requires no cutting or surgery, and further has the advantage of being a non-invasive and proven long-lasting treatment for excessive underarm sweat. Patients can typically return to normal activities after the procedure and begin to see a reduction in underarm sweat quickly thereafter.
Dr. Raffy Karamanoukian is one of a few board certified plastic surgeons in Los Angeles who offers the Miradry system. After a careful consultation, our office can provide you with expertise in the management of axillary hyperhidrosis and the longterm treatment of the condition with the Miradry system. The major benefits of Miradry include a dramatic reduciton in underarm sweat, immediate and lasting results, non-surgical intervention, toxin-free, minimal downtime, and quick in-office procedure. The procedure has rapidly earned a position as one of the leading treatments for axillary hyperhidrosis, with realself participants giving it a 94% 'worth it' rating in 2013.
To schedule a consultation for Miradry treatment in Los Angeles, please call our patient care coordinator at (310) 998-5533.
Questions about Miradry:
- Is the Miradry Sweat System available in the United States? The Miradry system was developed to treat a condition known as axillary hyperhidrosis and is cleared by the United States FDA. Widely published studies have shown the efficacy of Miradry when compared to surgical or neurotoxin alternatives. If you are considering the Miradry system to treat overactive sweat glands, our office is available to answer your questions and determine your candidacy for hyperhidrosis treatment.
- What is axillary hyperhidrosis? The axilla is the medical term for the armpit. Hyperhidrosis refers to the condition wherein the body produces large amounts of sweat regardless of core body temperature or external temperature. The sweat is often unregulated and can lead to profuse sweat output. Axillary hyperhidrosis thus refers to a condition of excessive sweating localized to the armpit.
- How long do the results last with Miradry? According to widely published reports, the Miradry treatment deactivates and eliminates sweat glands using heat energy. The results are longlasting and can provide longterm improvement in axillary hyperhidrosis and underarm sweating. Treated sweat glands in the axilla do not have the capacity to regenerate, thus there is reduced likelihood for recurrence later in life. Some patients, however, will notice that they still have residual sweating in the armpits which may require a second treatment with Miradry.
- What are some common locations for hyperhidrosis? Hyperhidrosis can occur on any part of the body. Common areas where excessive sweating is found include the hands, feet, underarms, face, scalp, and trunk. Although sweating is a physiologic response to stress or heat, patients with hyperhidrosis have an abnormal physiologic response that is unrelated to core body temperature or environment.
- How soon will results be seen after Miradry treatment? The Miradry procedure works directly on the sweat glands in the axilla and armpit. Impressively, patients begin to notice an immediate improvement in their sweat production after the procedure, although results will vary depending on the type and severity of hyperhidrosis a patient has. Studies have shown over an 85% improvement in sweat with the Miradry procedure after two treatments.
- Is the Miradry system an outpatient procedure? The impact of excessive sweat on healthy adults is immense. In the past, the most advanced option for treatment of excessive sweat in the armpits was the injection of neurotoxins into the skin. Now, with the introduction of Miradry, patients can effectively control sweat production in the armpit without significant recovery. The procedure is performed on an outpatient basis and you will be able to go home immediately after the procedure. Dr. Raffy Karamanoukian can also provide you with pain medications or anxiety medications in the preoperative setting provided that arrangements are made for someone to drive you home after your procedure.
- What is recovery like after the Miradry treatment? Patients who undergo Miradry treatment for axillary hyperhidrosis can usually return to work within a few hours after the procedure. The most common recovery issues include swelling in the armpits, some bruising, and discomfort that may last from a few days to a week. Most patients will recover completely within two weeks of the procedure. Expect to see results quickly after the procedure and moreso over the course of the following two weeks.
- Is it safe to treat the underarm sweat glands? It is thought that the body contains over 4 million sweat glands on the surface of the skin. Only about 1 to 2 percent of the sweat glands are located within the axilla or armpit. If these are controlled with Miradry, the body still has enough reserve sweat glands to control core body temperature without any problems. Patients with hyperhidrosis generally have a heightened sweat production that is irrespective of core body temperature or the environmental room temperature.
- How do I know if the Miradry Hyperhidrosis treatment is right for me? Most hyperhidrosis experts will agree that patients with symptomatic excess sweat that compromises normal activities or daily living are candidates for intervention. Unlike Botox injections that last only months, the Miradry system can provide effective control of excessive sweating that is longlasting. Contact our Los Angeles office today to discuss whether Miradry is right for you.
- Are there any incisions with the Miradry procedure? The Miradry treatment is non-surgical and thus there are no incisions used during the procedure. You will likely require numbing medication and this is usually applied with a small needle to the affected area. The benefits of Miradry include the fact that it is strictly performed on an outpatient basis with no surgical incisions or cuts. Dr. Raffy Karamanoukian will customize the treatment to you depending on the specifics of your hyperhidrosis and the antatomy of your axilla.
- Is there a way to measure the degree of hyperhidrosis? Clinicians sometimes use the hyperhidrosis disease severity scale (HDSS) to quantify the degree to which the excessive sweating affects people's lives. Patients are graded on a 4 point scale depending on how much they tolerate the excessive sweat and how much it bothers their normal lives. Dr. Raffy Karamanoukian at Kare Plastic Surgery can help you identify if you are a candidate for hyperhidrosis treatment, including the Miradry system.
- Is Miradry similar to Botox injections? Botox injections temporarily disable sweat glands, thereby reducing sweat production in the armpits after injections. Many people who have undergone hyperhidrosis Botox injections often complain that the injections are painful and do not last longer than a few months. Miradry, on the other hand, utilizes heat energy to destroy unwanted sweat glands to provide longlasting control of sweat glands in your armpits.
- What is the difference between normal sweating and hyperhidrosis? Hyperhidrosis is a condition in which abnormal amounts of sweat are produced, often more than what is needed to maintain or regulate body temperature. Our office recommends the Miradry system for those individuals who suffer from armpit hyperhidrosis and whose lives are affected by the abnormal sweat. This is usually caused by abnormal eccrine glands that are either hyperstimulated or hyperresponsive. If you have axillary hyperhidrosis, you are not alone, as thousands of people suffer from the same condition.
Patient Testimonials for Miradry Treatment:
"I am very satisfied with the results which I have had for about 2 years, because I can wear fabrics like silk and light colored clothing that I couldn't wear before." Renee G.
"Miradry gave me a greater self confidence. Thank you for giving me my confidence back." Chris G.